Monday, July 30, 2007

Bad Hair Day

Let's talk about a bad hair day for the next 3 months. I cannot believe the experience that I had at the salon on Friday. I was actually looking forward to getting my hair cut. I had been perusing all the celebrity hairstyles in search of that glamorous, trendy cut. I had decided that I wanted to go blonder and shorter. A nice short shag with a great summer blonde.


Well, I go in, we discuss the plan and off we go with all over color. --And that is when my dreams turned into a nightmare. After trying to go blonde -- I got ORANGE. It was hideous. Now, I must add here that the reason I go to a salon is because I prefer to believe that they are professionals and the hundreds of dollars I spend to get that fabulous look could not be afforded through at 20 dollar bottle of Clairol. So, my stylist proceeds to add toner and then semi-permanent color to my hair trying to "tone down" my now glowing head. When all that does not work, she decided to add in highlights which turn to a nice shade of copper. Now I have orange and copper hair -- am I a calico cat! As I sat in the chair experiencing all this, I said out loud -- wow this is been quite a science experiment today.


Ok. so that's the color and off we go to the cut. I think to myself -- a good cut can overcome some flaws in the color. I want my hair to be "flippy" in the back and cut with the sides flipping as well -- a sort of Meg Ryan look, if you will. So, she starts cutting away. I thought she was finished in the back, and she started cutting again when I objected! It was like she couldn't get the cut right so she just kept cutting. At this point, I couldn't even talk, I was speechless -- just get me out of this place. So I pay the bill -- the color, highlights, toner AND cut -- and we wouldn't have had toner and highlights if she knew what she was doing. So, now I am sitting in my car crying because I have been at the salon for over three hours and my hair is orange and butchered! I cried all night and called my sister-in-law for some comfort, reassurance, anything to feel better. What was I going to do -- I couldn't go out in public like this?

On Saturday morning, I had to call the salon and try to get something worked out. I actually think they were expecting my call. I asked them to color back to my natural color and put in the highlights. Well, that's exactly what they did and surprisingly, they didn't charge. My hair still doesn't look as good as it did when I walked into the salon, but at least, it is not a nightmare anymore. I guess in 3 months it will look better!

We actually did a little travel shopping this weekend after my crisis was finally over. I have been searching for a nice piece of carry-on luggage. I wanted something easy to carry and that was versatile, but also large enough to carry a few days worth of clothes if need be. So, we went to the Mall in Columbia to the LL Bean store, and compared their luggage with Eddie Bauer and a luggage shop. We ending up getting LL Bean's travel pack. The nice thing about this bag is that it also has backpack straps. That was something I really wanted in case I needed to carry the bag and a child through the airport -- It is always a little easier when you have two hands free.

All else is quite on the adoption front for now. However, I cannot even relate to the "no news is good news" phrase right now!

No comments: