Friday, July 20, 2007

Conversations with Tori

On our drive to daycare this morning, Tori asked me where baby brother was going to sit. She has gotten into the routine of buckling bunny and a doll she calls “baby brother” into the seat belts before she gets buckled into her car seat. This morning, I was in a hurry, so I told her that she would have to hold her babies. This must be what initiated the “Where’s baby brother going to sit.” I explained that we would add another car seat in the back and he would get to sit by her. She really didn’t like that explanation. She said she wanted to be the big sister, and she didn’t need a car seat anymore – brother could have hers!

We have been reading some stories to her to help her understand what it means to be adopted. We picked up some books from the library:
Rebecca’s Journey Home (China adoption)
Tell me Again About the Night I Was Born (domestic adoption)
Waiting for May (China adoption)

She likes Rebecca’s Journey Home the best. The book is about a Jewish family that adopts from China. What she liked most about this book was all the things that Rebecca could be she grew up. Her reaction to Tell me Again about the Night I was Born is “it’s boring.” It was actually funny when she said it was boring because I don’t think there is a book she doesn’t like – well, now we have one on that list. Waiting for May was a bit long but it helped us begin the conversation that Mom and Dad are going on a trip and that Tori will stay here until we return – she’s excited about that, right now.

On the way home from school she told me that she wanted a car that was just glass. I had to make sure that is what she actually said to me – you want a car that is just glass? She said yes; we just passed one; you missed it. I was a bit puzzled, but hey if she says she saw it, then she did. We got a little further down the road and she said – see mom, there’s one. Ah, a car that is just glass is a Convertible! (It doesn’t have a roof – just a glass windshield). Now, I’ve got her language.

No comments: