Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Proposal Date

Ah, two sweet little words and yes, I have a proposal date my friends!

My proposal meeting will be schedule on Tuesday October 14. On this day I will surely need your prayers and prayers for all my committee members. My dissertation is on the influence of college experiences and leadership development on leadership self-efficacy for students who participate in military education programs. Boy is that a mouth full!
I have a few revisions to make to the proposal, and then I will send the proposal off to my committee for review.

This is the first of a three step process.
  • First, I will meet with my committee at the proposal meeting. This meeting which is scheduled for 2-hours is an opportunity for the committee to ask me questions about the design and theoretical foundation for the study. Remember, I am just proposing the research. So, they will make recommendations in order to improve my study and approve my moving forward with the research.
  • Second, I will conduct the research. I will be using data that was collected as a part of the Multi-Institutional Study for Leadership. Since the data has already been collected, it makes the dissertation a little smoother. I will be analyzing a subset of the data for my study. This will include writing chapter 4 & 5 of my dissertation.
  • Third, I will schedule the dissertation defense with my committee. It is during this meeting that they will decide if I passed the dissertation. The defense is open so friends and colleagues are welcome to attend. My committee members will again ask me questions about the study and my findings. Hopefully -- I will have very good answers to their questions. If all goes well, I will be Dr. Wilson at the end of the defense!

No comments: